The Valerian Effect

eValerianMsP

Recently we won a generous selection of Valerian stuffed toys by entering a contest held by the charming and stunning kitty blogger, Cathy Keisha. They were made by the Bavarian Cat Toy company.
What’s in valerian, you might ask?
Wikipedia‘s answer: “Actinidine is a pyridine derivative found in the essential oil of valerian root and silver vine. Actinidine is a cat attractant, with effects like those of nepetalactone, the active compound found in catnip.”
Or, if you ask Miss Piggy at PAWS, it’s pure stinky bliss.

eLucy

According to Lucy, possession is nine-tenths of the law. After she played with the valerian pillow, she sprawled on it and refused to share.

Interestingly, some cats who ignore catnip are quite stimulated by valerian. In Cat Room #1 at PAWS, four of the six cats loved it.
Now we’re curious about silver vine. What’s your cat’s favorite recreational herb?

This post is not sponsored and the opinions are honest reactions of the cats at PAWS.

Whoa! Glad the PAWS cats liked them. I went through loving silvervine but now valerian is my favorite high. TW and Pop think these toys are stinky but I think they are divine. Lucy is Gorgeous!!

I don’t think we have tried the valerian toys but we sure are going to order some from CK. Looks like those kitties sure do love them .Great pictures.

How wonderful! Glad the shelter kitties like the toys. Lucy sure is a stunner.

Oh yea, that’s some darn good stuff. You cuties enjoy, roll, romp and repeat!

Wow, sounds like the valerian toys are a huge hit at PAWS! Not surprising, though…like you said, it’s a stinky bliss according to my boys 🙂

Haha! Yes, we noticed that Miss Piggy loves that pillow when we visited her last week. 🙂

Zoe and Gracie like catnip most of all. Silvervine will do in a pinch, but they are more or less nip purists!

That looks like a great prize. My cats love silvervine, but it is expensive so they don’t get much.

S Hall

Stinky Bliss!
What a great description, my kitties want some!
Now they have the Stinky Bliss Blues.
They have only had catnip, and only like it dried.
Great graphics too!
They are so perfect for a Stinky Bliss aroma high!

Gail Karlitz

Very interesting. I once used Valerian for my daughter to help her get to sleep. People also use it for ADHD, depression, and other things. And it is really, really stinky (like very old, very sweaty, gym socks).
Has anyone seen it not in toys? One site I saw about using it with cats said to give them a few small chunks of the root.

Cody sometimes loves it, other times he doesn’t seem phased by it at all!

Alexis

English Muffin says she and her friends Mazie, Charlie & Marshall are all old school – cat nip for them!

We continue to want to try valerian and silvervine, but have never had the opportunity. Our “drug” of choice, as it’s all we know, is NIP. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo